April 30, 2014
When done correctly the one leg deadlift is an effective exercise to stimulate and strengthen the gluteal muscles.
- Begin with your feet together and keeping an abdominal brace push one leg backwards, moving from the hip
- Drop the same side arm as if you were going to pick up or place something on the floor in front of you keeping a straight spine
- You should initially practice this movement with a straight stance leg not aiming to touch the floor, moving to a small knee bend when you master the movement
- As you arrive back to the starting position you should aim to gently squeeze your buttocks not allowing your hips to drop at any stage
- Repeat on each side 5-10 times adding a weight to the leading arm when you become more proficient with this movement
If you experience any increase in pain during this exercise stop immediately and consult your healthcare professional.